Monday, October 12, 2009

THRILLED TO BE ANNOUNCING......

We are adopting a brand new baby boy in January! We are sooooo excited! We feel so blessed and so lucky to have met our amazing Birth Mother, Mariel. She is so awesome. We just clicked from the moment we started communicating. She has such a great sense of humor, she's smart, beautiful, fun, entertaining, confident, talented and has so much maturity and faith. It has been such a pleasure to get to know her and spend time with her. We love her so much and are so honored that she has chosen us to be the parents of her much loved baby boy.

We don't know exactly how to sum it all up because there's so much to tell and I know I won't do it justice. We decided a while ago that we weren't going to try to keep everyone updated on everything all the time because it was just too emotional. So we kinda sorta dropped off the map in case you didn't notice :) We've been so busy trying to find our baby. We didn't hear anything from anyone interested for the first almost two years we were in the adoption pool. Then, all of a sudden, the flood gates opened! Since May, we have been contacted by 12 different birth parents. At one point, we were communicating seriously with four birth mothers. FOUR. We met them all face to face within a period of 2 weeks. Needless to say we were a bit overwhelmed, but we tried to have faith and believe that Heavenly Father would guide us to the right person and the right baby, and we hoped that no one would get hurt. One by one the birth mothers we met started making their final decisions, and we weren't it. But we felt OK about it because we knew something would work out.

Enter Mariel. She is 17. She emailed us pretty early on in her pregnancy. She was very open and honest about where she was in her process, which was awesome and super helpful, but she really hadn't decided what she was going to do. She was keeping all her options open: marriage, adoption, etc. She told us that her mom found our profile and showed it to her (Thank You LeaAnn!). Mariel looked it over and decided to email us to get to know us better. Yay! Our common loves were Brian Regan and Coldplay :) so funny. Anyway, we thought Mariel would be long gone in a short while, afterall, we were the first people she contacted and she still had so long to go and so many choices to make. She was still so honest too about the fact that she was keeping all her options open. So about a week went by before I had responded to this one email from her, which was longer than I meant to take, and she emailed us again saying that she had looked at lots of other profiles but she just didn't like anyone else as much as she liked us! Bless her. So from that day forward (maybe 5-6 weeks ago) we have emailed back and forth pretty much every/every-other day. We became such great friends. I love emailed back and forth with her, she's so hilarious. During the course of our communications, we could see that she was really working things out in her mind and it looked like she was leaning towards adoption. We decided to meet! The first time Kirk and I met her and her mother we spent about four hours with them visiting and going out to lunch! Our conversation was so natural and fun. Then the next week Mariel and I went for a little girl's date and got pedicures and had dinner. We had a great time. She is very down to earth and I think we're just on the same page, which has been so cool.

So the next week, on Wednesday, September 23, Mariel and her parents took Kirk and I out to dinner at Carrabba's (my fave). We walked into the little room where they were seated waiting for us and there was this huge gift basket full of little boy clothes, toys, her favorite books from her childhood, a blanket, etc. It was SO SWEET! She gave us the sweetest card. She told us that she could not give her baby to anyone but us, which just absolutely humbled and amazed us. It was such a special experience sitting there with her while she announced that she was giving us the best gift we could ever receive. A baby. A family! It was so unbelievable. We love her so much and are so excited to meet our little buddy when he is born in January (Jan 18-22, somewhere in there).

This is Kirk and me with Mariel. She's TALL and so naturally beautiful.

This is the gift basket that Mariel and her mom put together for us. Is it not so amazing? I seriously pick up those onesies from time to time and just hold them, visualizing our sweet boy in them and imagining how much we will love him.

We continue to keep in touch with Mariel. She lives very close to us actually, and we will have an open adoption with her. We are trying hard to get ready, emotionally, spiritually and especially physically! Kirk is downstairs hammering away trying to finish our rooms so that we'll have a nice place for him to live. We are grateful for this time to get ready and know it will go fast. We have decided that it doesn't really matter, we will take him whether we're ready or not!! :)

Thank you for all of your love and support. We have been sustained by it during this trial, which seems so strange to call a trial now, and have felt your prayers. We love you and are SO excited to share this news with you!!

Heather & Kirk

50 comments:

Birgitta said...

Yeah!!! So exciting! I can't wait to meet him!

I love that book Love you forever. EVERY time I read it, I cry. EVERY TIME!

Birgitta said...

Oh, and Mariel is a beautiful girl!

WalkConkies said...

Hooray!!!!!! I'm so excited for you both! Prayers are answered and we are SO happy for you! I think those are the same onesies I just got for my sister's baby - they are darling and what a sweet idea to share her favorite children's books with you! I'm with the crying during that book - we used to laugh at my Mom b/c she always cried - now I always do and I'm sure you will too!!!

--H said...

Ahh...Love You Forever. One of the creepiest and most wonderful children's books ever!!

I don't have words to express how happy I am for you.

Adri said...

Really excited for you guys!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Thank you for this post, it is amazing. I can now make the annoucement on MY blog! We are so happy for you, you are both going to be such awesome parents! I hope you get to hold the baby Heather, or should I say Kirk! That is going to be one well loved baby! Can hardly wait to get my hands on him!

Scully said...

Every time I think about this, I just grin. I'm so excited for you guys and I can't wait to meet the little buddy! Congratulations to all you for this awesome miracle.

Karen Brothersen said...

Your post was very moving! I am crying WHILE smiling! What a fun and precious blessing! Mariel is very smart for picking you and Kirk! P.S. that book. Love you forever. Yeah, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be" Yeah.. .that was from memory. kaylee wanted that read to her ALL the time!

Lesley said...

Heather! Hooray! I am so so so happy to hear this news.

A few minutes ago my husband came into the room (apparently he had just been looking at my google reader) and said "Who is Heather Parsons Larson?" I got so excited and almost screamed "Did they get a baby? Did they? Did they?" :) I had to run in here and check it out myself right then.

I am so so so thrilled for you guys. We love raising boys and I know your little miracle boy will be such a joy too.

Mariel is such a wonderful person. How cool.

The Gang said...

Yeah!! Congrats! Everyones prayers must have worked!:) I love how she got You a gift basket. So neat!! Everyone who I know who've gone through this said they just knew, just clicked. I am happy for you guys and this whole time you were waiting---this little baby was the one you were waiting for.

The Gang said...

And I've been following your blog for awhile since Kim moved to second ward and I started reading her blog. Hope you don't mind. :)

Danielle said...

Whooot Whooot and Whooot!!! We are coming unhinged up here in North Utah!! We are soooooo unbelievably excited and happy for you two. It is really happening for you and we are thrilled!!

Chase is just a little confused as to why your birth mother's name isn't the same as ours. He thinks that our birth mother is the one responsible for all great gifting of babies, since he was our greatest gift and all!

Oh, I love the miracle of adoption!!

Love you both!!

Heidi said...

Your post made me cry when I got to the part about the gift basket. :-) Even though we haven't talked in years, I am really really happy for you and your husband. Blessings to you both. Little boys are the best!

Mariah said...

this is such good news heather!! I'm so excited for you. Congrats!

Jeff said...

Heather, I cried as I read that post. How beautiful. What a miracle. Love you guys.

Julie said...

Sorry, Heather, that last post from "Jeff" was actually from me, Julie Mardis Carlsen from Temple Square. I didn't realize I was signed in has my husband. Sorry!

Kimberley said...

Wow, there aren't words! How fun, exciting, wonderful, miraculous, fabulous . . . Congratulations!!! from the Cleverly's

Duludes said...

Oh, I'm beaming and crying at the same time. So excited for you guys, I will get busy on your baby gift now. Joel and I are having to do some of our adoption stuff all over again as we have moved to a different state but hope to be in your shoes soon. Hugs and Kisses!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful story and blessing. We are so happy for you guys!

Love,

Branden and Denise

Audrey said...

I could hardly read fast enough when I saw the title of your blog post on my sidebar!!!! Yay!!! I love the name Mariel too, not that it has anything to do with this story. Just last night I was watching adoption diaries on the WE channel. Have you ever seen that? It really gets to me. Have you been reading about my adoption situation with my dad's adoption story? It's all amazing and spiritual. Sorry, I'm talking about myself and this is your special moment. Whew, how wonderful for you guys.

Lea Ann said...

I am crying, I am so happy for you. Mariel is one smart girl to pick you both. And how considerate to give you a few months to prepare. But I am confused as to how I had anything to do with this. I know I perform miracles everyday, but this is a little beyond my capabilities.

Kimberly said...

Hallelujah!!! There is no greater miracle! We too are thrilled to hear this news. I walked in crying and Curtis quickly and with great concern said, "What's wrong?" I was so glad to tell him they were tears of joy... Things have been crazy for the fam this month huh? We love you both so much and couldn't be happier for you!

Kristi said...

Fabulous news! I love the story. Mariel sounds like a wonderful person. You will make wonderful parents! I can't wait to see your sweet baby boy. Yay!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

What a lucky little boy!!! Where do you live Heather? A loving Heavenly Father knows where you are and has blessed you with a "family"! Life is Good!!!

Kale said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! I'm so happy for you guys. I know that the journey has been so very difficult but when you are holding that sweet little guy in your arms it will wash away all the heart ache and pain and you feel nothing but love and joy. Good luck and I hope I get to meet your little guy some time!

Scott & Tami said...

Yippy!!!! What an incredible story!!!! I am so happy for you two!!!

Lori said...

Wow!! You made me seriously cry. THANKS for sharing that sweet story. I am SOOOO excited for you and cannot wait to meet your little one! How blessed you are to find a sweet unselfish lady to share her precious child with you.

Nicole Ekberg said...

We are so excited for you guys!! It made us both tear up! Love ya, Niki & Troy

luke & misty meldrum family said...

Oh Kirk and Heather-you guys deserve the best!!! Keep the faith especially until the papers are signed. I understand how it can be an emotional roller coaster. Heavenly Father knows what child is suppose to be in your family. I was so distraut after witnessing the birth of our future child and the next day found out the birth parents changed their minds. In three months we got an african american little girl and can not imagine life without her!!!! If the first birthmom wouldn't have changed her mind we wouldn't have our little girl. I will be praying for you!!! We love you guys!!! Mist

Derek said...

Congrats Heather. We have been praying for you (and will continue). Your post made me cry. We are so happy for you. Good things do happen to good people.

Tamara said...

Heather, Although we have not met yet, I feel like you are a close friend already. It is truly a blessing living next door to your parents and Clark and being a small part of the "comings and goings" of the Perrins' family. Richard and Christen have shared so many amazing memories of you with me. It has been a blessing getting to know Kim and Danielle. Our Father in Heaven is so kind and loving. . . ..You receive your wonderful news at a difficult time, but what "tender mercies." Your son will bring lots of sunshine into those cloudy days. . . .and just imagine all the rainbows that will be present! Hugs and looking forward to our face to face meeting.

John and Jada McFarlane said...

Johnny and I are so happy for you guys. That is so exciting! We can't wait to see pictures of your beautiful little baby!

chiara family said...

Hip Hip Hooray!!!!

She is beautiful!!!

I am SOOOO excited and everything for you.!!

We love you

Jeremy said...

Sheeesh, I think you broke the comments record.... oh, and congratulations.

:)

Tyler and Cheryl said...

Heather and Kirk! I can't tell you how happy I am for you. Reading this brings tears to my eyes. I love you both and am so excited for you!

The Edwards Family said...

I think I can read that post over and over again. I just can't stop smiling. You guys are going to be the BEST parents ever. We are soooooooo excited for you.

Maria said...

Congratulations! We are thrilled for you! Let us know if you need anything.

Danielle said...

I have to make another comment cause it's kinda cool to see how many comments there are! Lots 'o people love you two. Fabulous!!

I just have to say, that hearing Tamera call him "your son" made me all giddy! Isn't that cool? Not that I am giddy...but that you are going to have a son?! Has it sunk in yet? We love it!!

just a mom with a camera said...

congratulations, so exciting, you guys all look so happy in the picture. CONGRATULATION!!!

Brant said...

I am so excited for you guys too! (so excited that I cried when I read your post!) You guys are amazing, you've waited a long time. I'm glad the wait is over. I'd love to see you sometime when we're in Utah. Take care! and enjoy wicked.
Love,
Lindsey Davies Lillywhite

tamikay said...

Congratulations Heather! Heidi has told me so many times about how she longs for you to be a mother, because she knows you will be the best and deserve it! I'm sure this holiday season will be so fun preparing for the arrival of this prescious spirit. Take care!

RR said...

Heather I had no idea. I am so excited..tears!! Tell me every detail. Rach

Anonymous said...

How awesome! I can't help but be a little emotional! I am so excited for your little family!

Nicole said...

I cried for joy for you over my scrambled eggs and toast this morning. We are SO excited for you. You are going to be amazing parents, what a beautiful, amazing miracle. I can't wait for January! Can't wait to hear all your awesome adventures of being new parents, it is the BEST!

Scott & Tami said...

ps. Mariel & Kirk look like they could be related!

In Good Company said...

Heather, I'm so happy for you! Sooooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with everything!

Josie said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm SOOOO happy for you!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is so great! after the trials comes the blessings!
xoxoxoxo
bianco

Amy Eds said...

This is all really exciting! I hope you don't mind me posting, but I linked from your post on Mariel's blog. I am one of Mariel's aunts and I am so glad you guys clicked with her and things are working out. I love her so much and know you guys are a blessing in her life! Thank you so much!