Monday, November 24, 2008

A Visit to Grandma Jensen

When I was a kid my parents used to take us for a week every summer to see our grandparents (My mom's parents) in southern Idaho.  I haven't been to grandma's house in 8 years! The last time I went was just before I entered the MTC. That was the last time I saw my grandpa because he passed away while I was in the mission field.  Well I got to go back for a visit a few weeks ago. It was SO wonderful to be back on the farm. All the warm childhood memories came flooding back the instant we pulled into the drive. I got to go with my brother Seth, his 3 girls and Kirk. My mom was there too which made it extra awesome..  Seth and I were like little kids again.. We ran all over the house and the yard, climbed the old trees we used to climb.. and even rode a motorcycle, courtesy of our cousin Hayes! That was definitely a highlight when we were kids. It was Kirk's first time riding too. It was such a blast! 


Grandma is so sweet. She is sick with pneumonia right now, which at 92 is not a good thing. She is so frail and it was sad to see her so exhausted.  Her sense of humor was in tact though! She told us some great stories as we sat with her in her living room.  It felt just like I'd never let all that time pass. I am sad it took me so long to get back there for a visit. And I'm so glad that Kirk could get to know her a little bit. She is such a faithful, fun, amazing woman. She and my mother are so much alike. I just love her.

These are grandpa's old computers. They are ANCIENT. He was on the cutting edge at one point! We used to play games on these old babies. Astroids is the only one I can remember off the top of my head.
We went to visit my grandpa's grave. Like I said, I haven't been back since grandpa passed away. It was really neat to be there at his grave with my mom and some of my family. And I was so grateful to have Kirk there with me to, so that I could share with him this precious place.

Is this picturesque or what? So much has changed on the farm since the last time I was there. A lot of stuff has been torn down, but this is the little bridge over a small canal we used to play on and ride the dirt bikes over.
Grandma always had velveeta cheese in her fridge! I would always take a big chunk and savor it. Kirk thinks that is disgusting but I loved it! And that linoleum is so nostalgic too.. 

We used to climb back in here and play make-believe whatever. It was this random place behind the house.  

I love you grandma and It was so great to see you. You are in my prayers and I hope you continue to feel the Lord's strength and comfort. Thank you for all you've taught me and for raising such a wonderful daughter who is my mother and one of my very best friends.

5 comments:

Miken Harding said...

Heather-that was an awesome post. I'm so glad you got to go back-8 years is a long time. You won't regret it. You look amazing! Glad your doing good. Miss ya. Miken

Kathy’s Korner said...

Great post Heather! You are one of my best friends too. Such a greaat daughter!

Duludes said...

What part of Southern Idaho dose she live in. My Grandma who passed away this spring and was 91 lived in Southern Idaho in a town called McCammon it is by Lava Hot Springs. But your post reminded me a lot of going to my Grandmas. I hope your Grandma gets better. Last year Joel and I went to my Grandmas for Thanksgiving and boy im glad we did since it was here last.

Danielle said...

The farm does hit you smack in your heart strings, doesn't it! i am glad you got to go. Our four generation picture is priceless.

Birgitta said...

We had a great time visiting your grandma this summer. It brought back a ton of memories for Jeremy too. While we were there, he wished he could ride a motorcycle. He did take a ton of pictures of the farm. I'm sad your grandma is really having a hard time.