Monday, April 27, 2009

The 'BU'


Kirk and I got to go on a fun trip with the young women to Malibu last weekend, as mentioned in my previous post. Our bishop owns a house about 5 houses away from the beach and he was kind enough to let us go and crash it! It was a lot of fun. Except the ride down taking 14 hours in a 15 passenger van, everything went very smoothly and we had a great time! We took 16 girls, then there were 4 YW leaders and two men to be our protectors. Kirk and MacKay had to get used to people giving them strange looks when they saw our group :)

In a nutshell, We traveled Wednesday, then on Thursday we went to the Getty Museum which was REALLY beautiful. We didn't get really see enough to make a drop in the bucket at that place, it's huge. But we looked at some exhibits then hit the architecture tour which Kirk really wanted to see. It is an absolutely breathtaking place. After the Getty we went shopping at the 3rd Street Promenade, which was also a treat. I don't have a still shot of the street performer, but there was this large black dude dressed in a silver sparkly tux and had his face painted silver. He invited a bunch of the girls in our group to come out into the street.. then I took a picture.. THEN of course he had to come over to me and make me pay for it.. dearly... He 'made' me kiss his cheek, which was covered with silver paint, and then he wanted me to kiss him on the lips. Kirk was laughing at me and I was so embarrassed, and disgusted. I did NOT kiss him on the lips you should know. I draw the line there my friends. I should've drawn the line earlier though. I felt like I couldn't get that paint taste off my lips for an hour or so.. and I just kept shuddering, blahh. I think I could've done without that experience, but oh well, they all got a good laugh at my expense. I guess this small-town girl will be more discreet next time I take a picture of someone on the screet.

Friday was our Six Flags (Magic Mtn) day. What a treat that is for us old farts who can't hack the big roller coasters anymore. Kirk and I were sick after the second one and had to take a Coke break and wait for the next one. And the food, well, it's just nasty there.. what the heck? for real? could it be that bad? yes, yes it can. No, really the day was fun. the big X2 was pretty fun, and probably my favorite ride was Deja Vu surprisingly. It was CRAZY. The park was supposed to close at 6 but they came over the load speaker and announced that it was stay open til 10 p.m. Oh joy. We put in a good hard day at Six Flags and the girls loved it. Us adults slept good that's for sure :)

Saturday was our beach day. NO getting in the cars was allowed. We sun bathed, boogie boarded, scoured the beach for marine life, played paddle ball, and all got burnt. It was so great!

During our trip we also completed all the value activities in the new personal progress virtue 'Value'. That was also a really neat experience to share with the girls and we had some open and valuable discussions about virtue and how we can maintain that in our lives. We had devotionals morning and night and prayed together. The girls bonded and I'm so glad that they got to have that experience. I know we're totally spoiled, but you gotta take it where you can get it I've decided!

Ok, so my nutshell was not so much of a nutshell.. you got the whole bag of nuts. suckas.


10 comments:

Birgitta said...

Some of those pics are very artistic and beautiful. Awesome! Sounds like a fun trip in the estrogen wagon, the tampon torpedo, the female fun ship... etc.

Kathy’s Korner said...

I would love to do something like that with our Laurels!!!!! (we have 9)

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

How fun!! I love the young women they are so awesome and when they get together have spiritual moments it's even more awesome. Plus it's fun to have an excuse to act like a goofy teenager every now and then too!!

Kimberly said...

I don't remember having sweet activities like that when I was in YW. I'm jealous. It sounded like a lot of fun!!!!

Danielle said...

looks like you had a great time, Yo! That is kind of a deck out YW activity, isn't it?!

Duludes said...

To fun. I bet you are such a fun leader. I love the YW's program. I have been in it almost my whole married life. I just got released from my Stake Young Women's Presidency and am going to miss the girls so much.

Miken Harding said...

That looked like a great trip! How fun. Holy House...awesome! Love your green purse by the way! Hope you are doing good-I miss you!

lanita said...

What a blast (minus the 14 hour car drive)! Sounds like you kept BUSY. I bet you came home and crashed and burned. I would have!

Unknown said...

Funs pics and sounds like it was a fun trip! Brave to take all those girls to CA! :D

WalkConkies said...

You guys are so awesome for doing that with the girls - I bet they learn so much from you, Heather!