Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Serious Easter

I had an interesting experience last year just before Easter.  I was driving in the car and I heard a radio commercial. This commercial appealed to mothers, and talked about avoiding the failures of easter baskets and gifts gone wrong as in years past, by buying video games for their kids. ('get your child an easter gift that they are sure to love'.. yada yada yada).  Then when I got out of the car from that same trip, the weekly add was covered in similar adds marketing the perfect easter gifts. It really hit me hard for some reason.  I mean, I don't mean to be a party pooper here.  And I have to admit, there is a small basket of candy sitting on my bar right now (I don't need any arm twisting to buy chocolate now do I). But I really struggle with it lately. OK I get Santa Clause... the birth of our Savior is a celebratory event, the whole idea of gifts and rejoicing is entirely appropriate. But the Easter Bunny? That's a stretch.  I'm not trying to sound self-righteous, and I'm certainly not casting judgement on those who do give easter gifts and baskets. I'm in that same boat really. Today my Sunday School teacher asked us what traditions we had with our families on Easter. I remember growing up my parents didn't really 'do' the Easter Bunny thing.  We kids thought they were total bums! Sure they hid a few eggs to appease us kids, we got a hollow chocolate bunny now and again.. but I don't really have any vivid memories of easter activities. Maybe my memories just fails me.. but I don't think so. And I get it now. It just doesn't feel right. 


What my parents did do is remind us that Easter is really about Jesus.  The Savior of mankind, Jesus Christ, suffered greater than any man on earth could ever suffer, to give us a way to repent and return to God. He paid the price for our sins, and he suffered immeasurable pain so that he would know how to comfort us when we suffer.  He lived a perfect life of love, obedience, charity, sacrifice and humility, and he gave his life for us. And on the third day he rose from the tomb, conquering death and giving us yet another gift.  He did all that the Father asked him to do. And he did it because he loved us, and he knew that we could not be saved without him.  What a gift he gave to us.  I don't even know how to express how important that is to me. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior, and I am so blessed to know him.  I know that he lives and I try to feel his influence in my life every day. The Easter Bunny can't even touch that.  


11 comments:

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

Heather, I agree. I had those same thoughts this year, I even had the same conversation about how does the bunny relate to the meaning of easter. That is why I posted on my blog that we are going to do Easter Bunny Saturday to celbrate spring and then Sunday is strictly focused on the Savior and the Atonement and the true meaning of Easter. I only remember one easter egg hunt in my childhood.

Scott & Tami said...

Amen sista!!!

Karen Brothersen said...

AMEN SISTA! We don't make a big deal about the Easter bunny either. In fact he comes on sat. NOT sun. Because Sunday is the day for JESUS!
When we do our Easter egg hunt, one of the eggs is "Empty" representing the Empty tomb that beautiful Easter morning.

Melanie said...

Great post. It is a good reminder to put the Savior first...always, not just on Easter.

WalkConkies said...

Thanks for your inspiring post, Heather. It is so true - I wonder who came up w/ the idea of the easter bunny anyway?!? I guess I never took Easter too seriously until my dad passed away and now it is my favorite holiday - with SO much more meaning. Now I need to somehow teach my children what I feel and I don't think the Easter Bunny is going to do much of that - in fact it really is a distraction - you've inspired me to come up with a new solution. I'll have to e-mail you a sweet story called the "empty egg".

Heather said...

Thanks for your comments you guys. I know I was on a total soap box about the whole thing. And really, there's nothing wrong with easter egg hunts, and dying eggs, and getting into the whole spirit of the easter bunny.. I think what really bothers me about the whole commercial thing was that it implied that just making easter simple would be a total diappointment to your kids, and you're not cool unless you buy something big, and better than the next guy. It just frustrated me for some reason. I think the comments you've all said about dividing things out to make sure that the Easter bunny comes on Saturday and not on Sunday is perfect. A very happy medium. I don't know why I didn't think of that! Geniuses all ya'll!

Kathy’s Korner said...

Sorry if you stunded your grow!!!:)
I have not problem with the Eater Bunny, I just couldn't get into the "gift" thing. I thing the hunts are a blast! I was noticing at church that the New Dress thing is really under played, also. I always wanted a new dress, and spring is a great time for that. My Birthday was a big help in that department.

Kathy’s Korner said...

I think Elder Holland Nailed it!

Duludes said...

Hey I just got a great book at the Dessert Book store that has many cool things in it to become traditions for Celebrating Easter. It's called A Christ- Centered Easter. By Janet & Joe Hales. It has things to do each day in the week leading up to the Savior Resurrection, lots of yummy recipes with traditional foods from that time and from the last supper and the meaning behind them.
On a different note I hope things are going well with you guys. Joel and I have started are adoption papers. But also still doing Clomid so we shall see.

Melanie said...

I agree with you completely. The Easter bunny didn't come to our house this year. I just gave the kids candy and told them "Happy Easter!" It just seems silly to explain the bunny after explaining what Easter is all about.

Miken Harding said...

Great post! I totally agree. Phil and I talked about doing the whole easter bunny thing the week before and then really celebrating the true meaning on Easter Sunday.