Monday, December 28, 2009

Our Mariel

I figured it was about time for an update! I wanted to say a few things about our angel birth mom, Mariel. I've decided that writing is very overwhelming to me. I'm always afraid I won't do 'it' justice. But I guess I need to just conquer that little idiosyncrasy of mine.

Anyhoo. Mariel is, in a word, AMAZING. She is 18 years old and so so mature. She is beautiful and confident and has so many incredible insights. She is fun and funny and is a very talented musician (violin and piano). We have gotten together many times and we always laugh so much. She is so down-to-earth. She is so kind to others and accepting and non-judgemental. She has so much faith. She goes to church every week even though it's often not the most comfortable place to be. She has had to deal with so much "crap" (my word) while she has been pregnant--her bad word boyfriend, people saying unthoughtful and unkind words, funny stares, stupid comments, unsolicited advice, etc-- and she has taken it all in stride and kept her head held high. She hasn't gotten angry, she just keeps moving forward in the direction she needs to go. You should really read this post from her blog. It made me sob and sob. She is such a great example to me. Kirk and I love her so so much!!!


This is Kirk and I with Mariel a couple weeks ago. Her family had us over for Sunday dinner. It was so much fun. Her family is so cool. Again very down-to-earth and we have so much in common with them. It was just so funny to see them as a family and to realize that every family is basically the same :) you know.. little brothers farting at the dinner table, little sisters freaking out.. HILARIOUS.

Mariel and I with our two little siblings!!! We are so excited that these two little ones will have each other. Mariel is 36 weeks along and I am 20 weeks along in this picture :) Mariel is so tall and cute! No comment about my lovely chubby self.

With Mariel's parents now. Their names are LeaAnn and Eric. They are also wonderful! LeaAnn has come with Mariel to many get togethers with me (ultrasounds, New Moon, scrapbook shopping, etc) We could all talk forever. Kirk and I stayed at their house this night we had dinner for about 4 hours and we had so much fun. We listened to Brian Regan and just laughed and visited and had a great time. Their family is so accepting of us.

We feel so blessed to have found Mariel. Well, really she found us :) And we are so thankful. Our entire relationship has just been so natural and special. She is such a neat girl and we couldn't be more thrilled that she has chosen to place her baby boy with us, and that we get to have an open adoption with her. She is about to do one of the hardest if not THE hardest thing she will ever have to do. Our hearts just break for her and the pain she will go through. She is being so incredibly brave and selfless and I hope that Kirk and I will be deserving of the great blessing she is giving to us.

Oh, and BIG side note.. Mariel is due in the middle of January, but baby thinks he wants to come early!! She has been closely monitored for the last few weeks and we'll find out soon if he's going to be coming early to if we'll be taking it week by week. I have to be a little careful about how specific I am on here because of the birth father situation, but we're on pins and needles here!! We're SO excited to meet our little boy!!!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

Well, looky there! I am the FIRST to comment! Can't beat that, eh? She is indeed an angel. We love birth Moms!

Kathy’s Korner said...

I hope that I get to meet her some day!!!!!! Tell her that we love her!

Miken Harding said...

All I can say is WOW and it could not have happened to a better couple! SO COOL. You look AMAZING!!! I think you'll be suprised how fast the weight will come off especially if you breast feed and now you'll have 2 to chase after. You'll be on hot mamma. Merry Late Christmas. Next time we are in UTAH we are hooking up! Miss ya.

Scott & Tami said...

Wow, I just read Mariel's blog...she is so AMAZING!!! I know you already know that...seriously, how incredible and the perspective that she has....phenomenal. Love you guys and can't wait to see photos of when he's born!!!

Birgitta said...

I love the sibling picture! She is amazing...and so are you! :)

Relaxed Cat said...

What an incredible girl. I read her blog post. It broke my heart. She's so brave and grown-up. Especially to stay at church with that kind of censure. Amazing girl. I love what she said about it being "his time." And her life will be beautiful, too. She's got more character in her pinky than . . .

VW said...

Heather, I'm so happy for you! Congrats on both of the new additions-to-be. We enjoyed seeing my sister Amanda's pregnant tummy over Christmas - she's just over 20 weeks along with twin girls. Your house will be almost as busy as hers will be with your two babies so close together! So exciting.

tamikay said...

What an awesome picture of two siblings in womb! Mariel is such a strong woman, and she will be blessed for making this decision. Her baby is going to a wonderful mother, and I'm sure your husband is just as great. Good luck to your family, and I hope your pregnancy and delivery continues to go well. I know Heidi is excited to give you your baby shower and so excited for you to experience the joys of motherhood. Enjoy!!!